RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SHB traps

Reply to topic     Forum Index » Small Hive Beetle. View previous topic
View next topic
SHB traps
beeworks
Site Admin

Post SHB traps Reply with quote
I have today added another page to our site. This one deals with the efforts of Mel, a member of this forum and his work against SHB. Have a read and see the photos. Pass the word around.

http://www.beeworks.com/informationcentre/small_hive_beetle.html

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:58 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
tillie

Post Reply with quote
I mixed up the lure this morning and emailed Mel and Sonny to find out how long and how to ferment the mixture. I'm so eager to get started that I'm heading out to WalMart after lunch for FGMO and sandwich containers with tops - we definitely have SHB in Georgia and they are on the inner cover every time I open my hives.

I am also wondering if I put the sandwich container on top of the frames or on top of the inner cover and then put an empty box around it, should I fill the box with crumpled newspaper to discourage the bees from building comb there?

Tillie in Atlanta

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:04 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
beeworks
Site Admin

Post Building wax Reply with quote
tillie wrote:

I am also wondering if I put the sandwich container on top of the frames or on top of the inner cover and then put an empty box around it, should I fill the box with crumpled newspaper to discourage the bees from building comb there?

The bees only build comb in empty supers when they need it. So unless there is a flow on it is unlikely they will build up into the empty super where you place the beetle trap.
Also as the hive expands by adding supers, then you can keep the trap on the top bars. While there is a flow on you'll just have to keep an eye on them, giving more empty supers as needed.
It might be a good idea if someone could work out the life cycle of these damm beetles, to find the best time to really work them over.
beeworks

Wed May 02, 2007 9:01 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
beeman

Post Hive beetle problem Reply with quote
I just read the posting on the hive beetle problem. I have been looking for some information on what to do to get rid of them in my hives. I have been beekeeping for about eight years and have never had any problems with my hives until this spring. When I opened my hives I found a small number of hive beetles in most of them. I have been trying to find someone who has sucessfully eliminated/controlled them. I will get the needed supplies suggested in this posting and try it out. If it works I will post a reply with the results. Thanks BEEWORKS, SONNEY, & MEL for the information.
BEEMAN (SOUTH LOUISIANA)

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:43 am View user's profile Send private message
Jesse3439

Post SHB Reply with quote
By living in the deep south, we have seen SHB's in great numbers at times, resulting in loss of hives and honey crops. Some years the numbers has been reduced but never without a few to deal with. There just doesn't seem to be an absolute solution to the problem. Rather you use traps or chemicals they seems to always come back. This year I expect will not be much different.

Having to deal with fire-ants... we also have hornets etc. The latest reports I hear about the Africanized Honey Bees is they are slowly advancing further east and north.

Just read where the United States Honey Production was down 4 percent in 2007 from 2006. Honey Producing Colonies as well as total pounds of honey is at an all time low. The lowest since 1987.

I really don't expect changes for the better any time soon.

Wonder what surprises we will have in 2008? (Jesse)

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:37 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic     Forum Index » Small Hive Beetle. All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: